I’m not sure that I want to refuse any treatment, what can I do to record my wishes?

If you don’t want to refuse any treatment but would still like to record your wishes for treatment and care more generally, you could complete an Advance Statement.

An Advance Statement allows you to record anything that is important to you in relation to your future care and wellbeing. You can include your wishes about any part of your life, health or care, such as food preferences, religious or spiritual views, information about your daily routine, any fears you have around treatment or care, the sorts of things that are important to you when making decisions about medical treatment, or where you would like to be cared for (for example at home, in hospital or in a care home). You can also use it to name anyone you would like to be consulted when decisions are being made on your behalf. However, this does not mean that a healthcare professional has to follow what that person says. The only way to give another person the legal power to make health or care decisions on your behalf is by making a Lasting Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare.

For more information, please see guidance on Advance Statements.

Have more questions? Submit a request